Welcome to the Schoenberg Database of Manuscripts! The SDBM aggregates observations of pre-modern manuscripts drawn from over 12,000 auction and sales catalogs, inventories, catalogs from institutional and private collections, and other sources that document sales and locations of these books from around the world.
Search the Database
Everyone is invited to search the database. Use the search bar below, or click the facets to the right.
Here's what you can do
- Contribute Data, including your own personal observations of a manuscript or group of manuscripts.
- Engage With Other Users to facilitate research and conversations about both the history of manuscript transmission and the data gathered in the process of recording this history.
- Manage Your Contributions, track your search history, bookmark, tag and download your results.
- Download Search Results for your own use under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License
New Interactive Features
- VIAF-based Name Authority (Read More)
- Enhanced Provenance data
- Create Groups to collaborate with other users
- Communicate with other users via private messages or public forum
- Browse the Seymour de Ricci Bibliotheca Britannica Manuscripta Digitized Archive
Unfortunately, the server hosting the De Ricci archive PDFs is experiencing some problems, so both the archive and the De Ricci game are not really usable at the moment (since the content of the cards is unavailable). We are in contact with the people in charge of this hosting, and are looking into a few solutions. I will post an update here when there is a change. Sorry about that!
There's been a small update, mostly with bug fixes and some small layout tweaks. If you encounter any problems, please feel free to send me a message! The specific changes are listed below.
Note: The database will be re-indexing all entries from about 9:30am, EST (Monday, October 30th). The process will last up to a couple hours, during which time search results will be incomplete.
- Forum, Dashboard, Profile and Public View design adjustments
- Name/Place/Language Authority modal improvements (pagination, display)
- Delete/Merge error message feedback improvements
- Counter fix for Sources/Source Agents; Merging records
- Merging records with many uses no longer causes error
- Source-agent "As Recorded" field added
- Personal Observation UI/Workflow improvements
- Source selection form should now preserve search terms in 'Create New Source' modal
- URL fix for usernames containing the '.' character
- Composite 'All Provenance' field for searching entries, combining Provenance and Transaction text
Dr. Benjamin Fleming has uploaded an inventory from the Rāmamālā Library Manuscript Project, sponsored by the British Library's Endangered Archive Programme and the Schoenberg Institute of Manuscript Studies. The inventory represents a near complete (95%) record of Sanskrit and Bangla manuscripts currently held at the Rāmamālā Library by the Rāmamālā Trust in Comilla, Bangladesh. Access the data here: https://sdbm.library.upenn.edu/sources/34910/